the Grill, one would also find the Men's Cafe
on the Washington Blvd. side of the ground floor.
in fact, was really a bar to which Grill patrons
were meant to retire.
Men's Cafe was described by a Detroit News columnist
as being "One of the most beautiful, in simplicity
of decoration of any room in the building".
It matched the Grill's English decor with rich
oak paneling. In the Edwardian Age for which they
were created these rooms were meant to be male
haunts though women were allowed. They were connected
as a unit by a Men's Entrance and Foyer.
Men's Cafe suffered the same fate as the Grill
in 1937. Its paneling went to the ballroom floor
while its space was given over to the Platinum
Promenade and retail shops.